Thursday, June 12, 2014

Philippine Independence Day and Our First Year Engagement Anniversary

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda -Isidro


Our Philippine Flag - inspired Wedding Reception Table Setting 
I love the Philippine Independence Day, a national celebration to commemorate the country's Declaration of Independence against Spain on June 12, 1898 by General Emilio Aguinaldo and Filipino revolutionary forces. It was during this day that the Philippine Flag, which symbolizes our country, was first raised and the national anthem played. On June 12 each year, I usually participate in parades and rallies and make miniature Philippine Flags as my way of tribute to those who have shown great courage in fighting for our country to give us the cherished freedom we now enjoy.


Engagement Day Photo in Bacolod showing Philippine Flag -inspired colors 
On a personal level, Philippine Independence Day is my favorite holiday. It was on June 12,1991 when I met Red for the first time, while I was participating at a rally in UP against the US bases. After two (2) decades of separation, Red suddenly appeared, and after dating for a year, has proposed to me and offered to give me freedom from loneliness and lots of love and happier moments together! 


Fruit Cocktail Cake - 2 eggs,1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 tsp. baking soda,
1/2 tsp. salt, 1 – 14oz. can fruit cocktail with juice 398mL, 2 cups flour, 
3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup butter, and 1 tsp. vanilla

Yes (if you do the math! lol), today marks our 22nd year from the time we first met, and our first year engagement anniversary. To celebrate this day, we wore our identical Bacolod tee shirts and shorts with Philippine Flag - inspired colors (red, blueyellow and whitethat we wore during our engagement trip last year. Then I baked a Fruit Cocktail Cake and had dinner at home together (since Thursday is our car's no - drive day). 

Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in 
which chance has placed us, but is always a result of a good conscience,
good health, occupation and all good pursuits - Thomas Jefferson
So with that "kiss" from Red and a sweet shared dessert, I  can say that I have no regrets losing my "independence" on Philippine Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment